On September 24, 2023, a heartbreaking tragedy occurred in the Chinyunyu area, as a seven-year-old boy lost his life in a house fire. The Chinyunyu police post received a distress call at 16:00 hours from Elizabeth Mwalukata, a 27-year-old mother, reporting the devastating incident. She revealed that her grass-thatched house had caught fire, resulting in the tragic loss of her young son’s life. Additionally, property valued at K1,500 was destroyed in the blaze.
According to Rae Hamoonga, the police spokesperson, the sequence of events unfolded as follows: On that fateful day, at around 16:00 hours, Elizabeth Mwalukata left her three juvenile children unattended while she went to a nearby stream to wash her clothes. Her sons, aged four and seven, along with their two-year-old sister, remained at home. The eldest son, now deceased, attempted to light a fire outside the house. Tragically, the fire rapidly spread to the main house.
In a heroic but ultimately heartbreaking attempt to save some household belongings, the seven-year-old boy rushed into the burning house. Regrettably, he became overwhelmed by the smoke and flames, leading to his untimely demise. The other male juvenile took his younger sister and rushed to the stream to inform their mother. Upon returning home, Elizabeth Mwalukata discovered the devastating scene and immediately contacted the police for assistance.
Preliminary investigations have indicated that the fire originated approximately 10 meters away from the thatched house before spreading to the kitchen and main structure. No foul play is suspected, and the relatives have been advised to proceed with the burial arrangements.
This tragic incident unfolded on September 24, 2023, around 16:00 hours in the lower Zambezi area. An inquiry file has been opened to further examine the circumstances surrounding this devastating house fire and the loss of the young boy’s life.