Breaking NewsEducationHuman Interest Stories

UNZA Student Dies While Attempting to Charge Her Phone

The University of Zambia (UNZA) community is reeling from a tragic incident that occurred on the evening of April 6, 2024, leading to the death of Ms. Margret Chibesakunda, a third-year student studying Public Administration. 

The incident, which took place at October Block 2, Room 23, of the University’s Great East Road Campus, involved a fatal electrocution.

According to reports received by the Chelston Police Station, Ms. Mwanja Daka, a registered nurse at the University of Zambia clinic, alerted authorities about the distressing event. 

Ms. Chibesakunda, 22, was fatally electrocuted while attempting to plug her phone for charging. Despite efforts to save her, she sustained severe burns and tragically succumbed to her injuries.

The news of Ms. Chibesakunda’s untimely death has sent shockwaves across the campus, leading to a spontaneous demonstration by University of Zambia students. 

Stones and drums were used to obstruct the Great East Road, prompting swift intervention from police officers to restore public order. The students were urged to mourn within the campus premises, and thankfully, they complied with the advice and returned to the University grounds.

The deceased’s body was transferred to the University of Zambia clinic and subsequently deposited at the University Teaching Hospital Mortuary, awaiting postmortem and burial arrangements.

In response to the incident, Rae Hamoonga, the Police Public Relations Officer, extended heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Ms. Margret Chibesakunda during this difficult time.

The Zambia Police Service assured the public that an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the electrocution incident is underway, and they are committed to ensuring that justice is served.

The University of Zambia community mourns the loss of Ms. Chibesakunda and offers support to her loved ones as they navigate through this tragedy. The incident serves as a sobering reminder of the importance of electrical safety and vigilance in daily activities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *