Engineer Bornface Zulu is calling on Zambian government to implement a tax waiver on solar products, presenting a compelling case for a paradigm shift in the country’s energy landscape. The proposal aims to reduce dependence on hydro power, foster the adoption of renewable energy sources, and secure a sustainable energy future for Zambia.
Key Points Raised by Engineer Bornface Zulu:
- Promoting Renewable Energy Adoption: Mr. Zulu emphasizes that a tax waiver on solar products can make solar technology more accessible and affordable for the general public, promoting widespread adoption of renewable energy solutions and reducing reliance on hydro power.
- Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction: The move towards solar energy would contribute to global efforts to combat climate change, as reliance on clean energy sources helps in curbing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Enhancing Energy Accessibility: A tax waiver on solar products would make clean and reliable energy accessible to remote areas and communities currently not connected to the grid, addressing energy disparities across the nation.
- Supporting Local Economy: Mr. Zulu advocates for incentives to promote local manufacturing and assembly of solar products, foreseeing job creation and economic growth in the renewable energy sector.
- Reducing Imported Fuel Dependency: The proposal aims to diminish Zambia’s dependence on imported fuel by encouraging the adoption of solar energy, thereby improving air quality and mitigating the risks associated with energy price volatility.
Proposed Policy Initiatives:
To enact the tax waiver on solar products, Engineer Bornface Zulu recommends the following policy initiatives:
- Exemption from Import Duty and VAT: Advocate for exempting solar products from import duty, value-added tax (VAT), and excise duty to lower the overall cost of purchasing solar technology.
- Incentives for Local Manufacturing: Encourage local manufacturing and assembly of solar products by providing incentives, such as a 5% reduction in excise duty on locally produced solar panels.
- National Solar Charging Station Strategy: Develop a comprehensive strategy for national solar charging stations and launch a widespread campaign to promote solar energy adoption across the country.
He concluded by saying that the implementation of a tax waiver on solar products in Zambia, coupled with the proposed policy initiatives, could signify a transformative leap towards sustainable energy practices.
Engineer Bornface Zulu’s vision aligns with a future where Zambia not only meets its energy needs but also pioneers environmentally conscious solutions for generations to come. The proposal calls for serious consideration by the Zambian government to initiate positive change and embrace a cleaner, greener energy landscape.